Scholarships are special benefits provided to a few students who prove their capability in various fields. To attain a scholarship one must excel in one’s field. Universities, organizations or countries promote their students by granting scholarships. A student is required to pay a large some of money when he decides to study abroad, in comparison to studying in one’s own country. But the student can reduce substantial burden when he acquires a scholarship. Scholarships help students in reduction or complete waiver of tuition fees, purchasing books and other necessary things etc.
Types of Assistance
Merit based assistance can be of several types. It includes:
- Tuition Waiver: This means that the student does not have to pay the tuition fees at the university. However, general fees (for the use of university facilities like the library, computers, and sports and health services) usually have to be borne by the student.
- Scholarship / Fellowship: It is usually a grant based on the student’s academic ability and performance. Therefore, a truly outstanding student may be considered for this type of award, before enrolling at the university.
- Assistantship: Most students who receive assistance do so in the form of an assistantship, i.e. usually a cash stipend, sufficient for their living expenses, or tuition waiver.
Who Should Apply
- with high level of academic achievement
- who have high standardized examination scores (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL etc.)
- who demonstrate financial need but have private funding to cover some of the cost.
- who specialize in a field or have a research interest which parallels that of the department and faculty or private funding source
The scholarships vary in countries and universities. Some of the scholarships granted to Indian students who wish to study abroad are:
Fulbright Fellowships for Indian Citizens:
Fulbright Fellowship is awarded to Indian Nationals who help in bringing the culture and civilization of India to the forefront, and thereby contribute to promote understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India.
Ambassadorial Scholarships by The Rotary Foundation:
It is one of the world’s largest privately funded international scholarships program. The purpose of the Ambassadorial Scholarships program is to promote international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries and geographical areas.
AWS International Scholarship Program
AWS International Scholarships are awarded to full-time international students pursuing a minimum bachelor’s degree or equivalent in welding or related field of study. Students must be in the top 20% of the institution’s grading system. Proof of country citizenship is required with each application.
American Association of University Women International Fellowships
International Fellowships are awarded for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not United States citizens or permanent residents.
NSCS Academy Abroad Scholarship
NSCS grants the Academy Abroad Scholarships, which promotes academic excellence through the study abroad experience. The people at NSCS encourage students to gain the global exposure and perspective.
SIT Study Abroad HBCU Scholarships
The aim of School for International Training (SIT) is to prepare students to become effective leaders, professionals and citizens. By doing so, SIT fosters a worldwide network of individuals and organizations committed to responsible engagement in a changing world.