GATE 2016 Preparation Tips- The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a nationwide test which evaluates the test takers of their comprehensive understanding of various engineering undergraduate subjects. The GATE Score reflects the readiness of candidates into admission to various post graduate programs in various IITs, NITs and other leading institutes across the country. GATE 2016 is to be conducted by the Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc) Bangalore.
GATE 2016 Preparation Tips:-
Now that there is time before the exam one must start extensive preparation and that in the right direction to be able to score brilliantly. Thus, we present you with GATE 2016 preparation tips and GATE Preparation Books or GATE Reference Books 2016 to help you mark your strategy for the prestigious exam.
- When to start with GATE 2016 preparations?
Eligibility states you need to be a graduate on in the final year to take the exam. However, there is no star date to preparation. The earlier you start, the better placed you are in cracking GATE.
- How do I start with my preparations?
First things first, you must go through the paper pattern of GATE. This will bring you a thorough idea of what is in your platter.
Here is quick view of the GATE 2016 pattern: The GATE exam, across disciplines is an online paper of a single session of 3 hours duration. The paper consists of 65 questions spanning 100 marks. The layout of the GATE 2016 exam is:
|Mechanical Engineering(Branch related questions from topics detailed above)||70 Marks||25: 1 marks question & 30: 2 marks question|
|Engineering Math||15 marks|
|General Aptitude||15 marks||Five 1 marks question and five 2 marks question|
In the GATE ME exam 70% of the maximum marks is given to the Branch specific questions detailed in the syllabus above. 15% is reserved for the engineering math section and 15% for the General Aptitude.
Negative marking: For a 1 mark question, 1/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer and for every 2 marks question 2/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer. However, there is no negative marking for integer answer type questions.
- GATE 2016 preparation tips: Some Thumb rules:
- GATE problems are conventionally not lengthy. You must rework your approach if take, say, 8-9 line to solve the same.
- Speed matters along with accuracy.
- GATE focuses on fundamentals, thus a rigorous preparation of 4-6 months will be sufficient to get into IITs or IISc.
- Previous years GATE question are of high importance. One mustn’t skip on these if he desires to make a cut.
- Being innovative while tackling the problem pays as in the test environment, a question posed in a different way will not pose much of a problem.
Now that we are done with GATE 2016 preparation tips, let’s go over to the section of GATE preparation books:
GATE Reference Books 2016:
A good book is always a good companion. GATE Reference Books for Technical, Aptitude, Reasoning/Maths will help you to prepare for GATE Entrance Exam. Thus having good books does spearheads your preparation towards a good score in GATE 2016. We now enumerate books of strategic importance across major disciplines of engineering:
- GATE preparation books of civil engineering:
- Engineering Mechanics – Shames
- Limit State Design – Ram Chandra
- Surveying – Punmia
- Strength of materials – V N Vazaram
- RCC – A K Jain
- GATE preparation books of Electrical Engineering
- Principles of electronics – V K Mehta
- Automatic Control Systems – Kuo
- Power Electronics – P S Bhimbra
- Electrical & Electronic Measurement and Instrumentation – AK Sawhney
- GATE preparation books for Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Network and Systems – D Roy Chowdhry
- Digital Logic & Computer Design – Moris Mano
- Signal and Systems – Oppenheim
- Control Systems – Nagrath
- Communication Systems – Carlso
- GATE preparation books for Engineering Mathematics
- Calculus – Shanti Narayan
- Differential equations: M. D. Raisinghania
- Complex variables – J N Sharma
Having a clear strategy for the GATE exam pre-hand enhances your score manifolds. Going through good books and clearing fundamentals are the major requirements of the GATE paper.